Terms of Reference on the Establishment of the Centre for IMT-GT Subregional Cooperation(endorsed by the 14th IMT-GT Senior Officials Meeting & Ministers Meeting, 4-6 September 2007, Songkhla, Thailand)
1.1 The overall objective of the Centre is to accelerate regional cooperation in the IMT-GT by establishing more structured institutional coordination and project facilitation mechanisms.
1.2 The specific objectives of the Centre are:
- To strengthen coordination mechanisms and consultation processes among IMT-GT institutions in the subregion as well as provide institutional framework to support public and private sector activities;
- To improve facilitation and implementation of priority projects, as well as monitoring and evaluations of projects and agreements;
- To establish and enhance external relation with potential investors and donors; and
- To develop useful databases of IMT-GT activities and enhance information dissemination within and outside the subregion.
2.0 Roles and Tasks
The principle roles and tasks of the Centre in implementing the IMT-GT Roadmap are:
- reporting to the Senior Officials Meeting (SOM), serving as the central body for monitoring and coordinating IMT-GT public and private sector activities;
- liaising between the Senior Officials and Ministerial Meetings (SOM/MM), Joint Business Council (JBC) and other IMT-GT institutions as well as with IMT-GT external partners;
- taking the lead in coordinating the flow of information within IMT-GT;
- facilitating consultations with IMT-GT stakeholders to gather inputs, preparing, validating, refining and periodically reviewing the IMT-GT Roadmap;
- facilitating subregional activities in support of Roadmap implementation, working closely with the Working Groups (WGs), National Coordinating Agencies (NCA), Joint Business Councils (JBC) and other IMT-GT institutions;
- liaising and coordinating IMT-GT linkages and activities with the ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN bodies, and other multilateral agencies and partner organizations related to Roadmap implementation.
3.0 Scope of Activities
3.1 The scope of activities of the Centre are defined by the objectives and role of the IMT-GT. The Centre shall work in close cooperation with the nodal agency for subregional cooperation in IMT-GT in each country (National Secretariat in Indonesia, EPU in Malaysia and National Economic and Social Development Board in Thailand, collectively called National Coordinating Agencies).
3.2 The Centre shall assist the National Coordinating Agency of the host nation in organising the Ministers' Meeting and Senior Officials' Meeting held annually, and shall function as secretariat to the meetings in the course of the meetings.
3.3 The Centre, in coordination with the National Coordinating Agencies, shall undertake at subregional level coordination and monitoring of projects and initiatives that are ongoing or have been agreed upon for implementation. If necessary, this role may also require the Centre to interact with national executing agencies for specific projects.
3.4 The Centre shall provide coordination by supporting the WGs, including by facilitating background papers on specific issues of subregional interest and significance. In close collaboration with the host National Coordinating Agency, the Centre shall assist in coordinating organization of meetings, timely inclusion of private and public sector inputs, preparation and circulation of the agenda and other relevant background papers. The Centre shall also promote effectiveness of WG meetings through prompt circulation and dissemination of meetings minutes, and coordinating follow-up actions with member governments and their ministries and agencies needed.
3.5 The Centre shall provide an effective nodal for interaction with external investors and potential donor agencies for information about IMT-GT and its programmes and activities. It shall also take responsibility for effective communication and dissemination of information relevant to IMT-GT to stakeholders outside of the subregion, including assisting with road shows and workshops for this purpose.
3.6 The Centre shall develop useful databases and information systems to help equip the public and private sector in IMT-GT with the knowledge necessary to assist them make decisions related to strategic cooperation and partnerships as well as business opportunities.
3.7 The Centre shall interact regularly with the public and private sector in IMT-GT to promote exchange of information and to enhance coordination and implementation.